NUTR 481: Undergraduate Seminar
NUTR 646: Fundamentals of Space Life Sciences
NUTR 681: Graduate Seminar
Research Interests:Dr. Turner’s research program focuses on determining the impact of dietary constituents on regulatory processes that may protect against carcinogenesis and inflammation in the colon. Her lab is evaluating the effects of fiber sources and the specific phytochemicals contained within them on aspects of cellular proliferation or apoptosis, and microbial/epithelial cell interactions. The goal is to determine how these normal processes are being perturbed by chemical carcinogens, radiation or pro-inflammatory compounds, and how diet may mitigate the damage caused by them. Work conducted in the laboratory is currently funded by the United Sorghum Checkoff Board, the California Dried Plum Board, and the National Space Biomedical Research Institute.
- Turner ND, Ritchie LE, Bresalier RS, Chapkin RS. The microbiome and colorectal neoplasia: environmental modifiers of dysbiosis. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2013 Sep;15(9):346.
- Austin, D.L., N.D. Turner, C.M. McDonough, and L.W. Rooney. Effects of brans from specialty sorghum varieties on in vitro digestibility of soft and hard sorghum endosperm porridges. Cereal Chemistry 89:190-197.
- Austin, D.L., N.D. Turner, C.M. McDonough, and L.W. Rooney. 2012. Effects of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] crude extracts on starch digestibility, estimated glycemic index (EGI), and resistant starch (RS) contents of porridges. Molecules 17:11124-11138.
- Cho, Y., N.D. Turner, L.A. Davidson, R.S. Chapkin, R.J. Carroll, and J.R. Lupton. A chemoprotective fish oil/pectin diet enhances apoptosis via Bcl-2 promoter methylation in rat azoxymethane-induced carcinomas. Experimental Biology & Medicine.
- Jeffery JL, Turner ND & King SR (2012) Carotenoid bioaccessibility from nine raw carotenoid-storing fruits and vegetables using an in vitro model. J Sci Food Agric
- Turner ND & Lupton JR (2011) Dietary fiber. Adv Nutr 2: 151-2
- Cho Y, Kim H, Turner ND, Mann JC, Wei J, Taddeo SS, Davidson LA, Wang N, Vannucci M, Carroll RJ, Chapkin RS & Lupton JR (2011) A chemoprotective fish oil- and pectin-containing diet temporally alters gene expression profiles in exfoliated rat colonocytes throughout oncogenesis. J Nutr 141: 1029-35
- Leonardi T, Vanamala J, Taddeo SS, Davidson LA, Murphy ME, Patil BS, Wang N, Carroll RJ, Chapkin RS, Lupton JR & Turner ND (2010) Apigenin and naringenin suppress colon carcinogenesis through the aberrant crypt stage in azoxymethane-treated rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 235: 710-7
- George NI, Lupton JR, Turner ND, Chapkin RS, Davidson LA & Wang N (2010) Evaluation of fecal mRNA reproducibility via a marginal transformed mixture modeling approach. BMC Bioinformatics 11: 13
- Turner ND, Paulhill KJ, Warren CA, Davidson LA, Chapkin RS, Lupton JR, Carroll RJ & Wang N (2009) Quercetin Suppresses Early Colon Carcinogenesis Partly through Inhibition of Inflammatory Mediators. Acta Hortic 841: 237-242
- Warren CA, Paulhill KJ, Davidson LA, Lupton JR, Taddeo SS, Hong MY, Carroll RJ, Chapkin RS & Turner ND (2009) Quercetin may suppress rat aberrant crypt foci formation by suppressing inflammatory mediators that influence proliferation and apoptosis. J Nutr 139: 101-5
- Crim KC, Sanders LM, Hong MY, Taddeo SS, Turner ND, Chapkin RS & Lupton JR (2008) Upregulation of p21Waf1/Cip1 expression in vivo by butyrate administration can be chemoprotective or chemopromotive depending on the lipid component of the diet. Carcinogenesis 29: 1415-20
- Vanamala J, Glagolenko A, Yang P, Carroll RJ, Murphy ME, Newman RA, Ford JR, Braby LA, Chapkin RS, Turner ND & Lupton JR (2008) Dietary fish oil and pectin enhance colonocyte apoptosis in part through suppression of PPARdelta/PGE2 and elevation of PGE3. Carcinogenesis 29: 790-6
- Apanasovich TV, Ruppert D, Lupton JR, Popovic N, Turner ND, Chapkin RS & Carroll RJ (2008) Aberrant crypt foci and semiparametric modeling of correlated binary data. Biometrics 64: 490-500
- Baladandayuthapani V, Mallick BK, Young Hong M, Lupton JR, Turner ND & Carroll RJ (2008) Bayesian hierarchical spatially correlated functional data analysis with application to colon carcinogenesis. Biometrics 64: 64-73