Anticipated Dietetic Internship Costs
The total cost of the dietetic internship is variable, but following are expected expenses and fees with their anticipated cost.
- Dietetic Internship fee of $7,500
- Application to Internship Program fee $25
- DICAS application fee $40 for first application, $20 for each additional application
- D&D Digital application fee $50
- Lab Coat $25
- Hepatitis B shot $180 (if not already vaccinated)
- Other shots as required cost may vary
- Professional Liability Insurance $25-35
- Drug Screen $40
- TB Test $25
- Student membership to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics $50
- Registration for Professional Meetings Costs may vary
- Criminal background check – provided by University
- Textbooks and supplies – varies with individual students
- Meals, housing and transportation varies with the student, but a reliable car is required to travel to practicum sites which are scattered over central Texas
- Cost of living: the average rent for Texas $761 per month
- Per Forbes magazine, cost of living in College Station, Tx is 3.7% below the national average (2013)
- Note: Rotations in Houston and Dallas are voluntary. Interns completing rotations in Houston and Dallas may incur additional expenses for transportation, housing, and parking. The intern is responsible for these additional costs.
Graduate School Expenses
For those in the Dietetic Internship with Optional Graduate Credit (DI-GC), expenses will include those listed above, plus the cost of attending graduate school. Interns in this option will incur expenses for at least two years of graduate school. In general, a minimum of 32 graduate hours is required for the Master of Science degree and 64 graduate hours for a Doctoral degree. Required credit hours may vary depending upon the graduate program and Graduate Committee requirements
Standard information on tuition and fees for graduate hours may be found at the Texas A&M Student Business Services
The following table outlines the expected expense school for the 2015-2016 academic year for a graduate student enrolled in 9 credit hours per semester during the fall and spring semester and 3 credit hours for the summer.
|Tuition and fees||$8,084||$16,316|
|Room and Board||$14,417||$14,417|
|Books and Supplies||$1,399||$1,399|
*$90.00 for international students
Financial Aid and Assistance
For interns in the DI-GC option who have not graduated from Texas A&M, fellowships, Graduate Research Assistantships and scholarships are available for meritorious graduate student applicants. Information about available financial aid can be found at the following website:
Interns in either option may also be eligible for scholarships awarded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation and the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. Scholarship and application information is available at the following website:
While completing the supervised practice, interns are not generally capable of working outside of the program for financial support. Interns may be a candidate for loan deferment during the supervised practice, depending on the source of financial support. Interns should contact their financial aid or loan provider for specific details and requirements.