- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., Federal University of Vicosa – Brazil, Food Engineering, 2002
- Graduate Education
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University, Biological & Agricultural Engineering, 2010
Food safety and shelf-life extension of food products; Development of colloidal dispersion and nanoemulsions / nanoparticles for controlled release of active ingredients in food systems; Improvement of nutrients bioavailability.
- Brasil, I.; Gomes, C.; Puerta-Gomez, A.; Castell-Perez, M.E.; Moreira, R.G. 2012. Freshness retention of minimally processed fruits using multilayered edible coating containing microencapsulated essential oil. LWT- Food Science and Technology. 47(1): 39-45.
- Gomes, C.; Castell-Perez, M. E.; Chimbombi, E.; Karagoz, I.; Hare, B.; Liang, Y-L; Sue, H-J.; Sherman, P.; Dunne, P.; Wright, A. O.; Yang, T. 2012. Quality of olive-oil reformulated MRE entrée packaged in oxygen-absorbing film. LWT- Food Science and Technology. 45(2):191-197.
- Gomes, C.; Moreira, R. G.; Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Microencapsulated antimicrobial compounds as a means to enhance electron beam irradiation treatment of fresh produce. Journal of Food Science. 76(6):E479-E488.
- Gomes, C.; Moreira, R. G.; Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Poly (DL-lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA) nanoparticles with entrapped trans-cinnamaldehyde and eugenol for antimicrobial delivery applications. Journal of Food Science. 76 (2): N16-N24