- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., Campinas State University – Brazil, Agricultural Engineering, 1980
- Graduate Education
- M.S., Michigan State University, Agricultural Engineering, 1983
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, Agricultural Engineering, 1989
Fundamental modeling and automatic control of food processing systems, food dehydration (impingement drying), extrusion, deep-fat frying (vacuum frying), biomass pretreatment for bioenergy, food irradiation (Monte Carlo & dose distribution).
Peer-Reviewed Publications: * Indicates graduate students under direct supervision; ** Indicates post-doctoral fellows under direct supervision; ***Indicates member of graduate student committee
- Puerta-Gomez***,A.F, Moreira, R.G., Kim** J., and Castell-Perez, M.E. 2012. Comparison of growth rates of Escherichia Coli spp. and Salmonella Typhimurium LT2 in baby spinach leaves under slow cooling. Food Control, accepted May 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2012.05.070
- Moreira, R.G. and Kim*, T. 2012. De-oiling and pretreatment for high quality potato chips. Journal of Food process Engineering. Corrected proof, April 2012.
- R.G. Moreira, A. F. Puerta-Gomez***, J. Kim*, and E. Castell-Perez. 2012. Factors affecting radiation D-values (D10) of an Escherichia coli cocktail and Salmonella typhimurium LT2 inoculated in fresh produce. Journal of Food Science. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02603.
- Brasil, I.M, Gomes, C., Puerta-Gomez,* A, Castell-Perez, M.E, Moreira, R.G. 2012. Polysaccharide-based multilayered antimicrobial edible coating enhances quality of fresh-cut papaya, LWT – Food Science and Technology (2012), doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2012.01.005.
- Gomes*, C.; Moreira, R.; and Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Microencapsulated antimicrobial compounds as a means to enhance electron beam irradiation treatment of fresh produce. J. Food Microb. 76(6): E479-E488. DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02264.x
- Gomes, C.*; Moreira, R.; and Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Poly (DL-lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA) nanoparticles with entrapped trans-cinnamaldehyde and eugenol for antimicrobial delivery applications. J. Food Science. 76:N16-N24. DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01985.x
- Gomes, C*.; Moreira, R.; and Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Radiosensitization of Salmonella spp. and Listeria spp. in ready-to-eat baby spinach leaves. J. Food Science. 76: E141-E148. DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01904.x.
- Kim, J.**; Moreira, R. and Braby, L. 2011. Simulation of gamma-ray irradiation of lettuce Leaves in a 137Cs irradiator using MCNP. Progress in NUCLEAR SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY, 2 (October): 442-446. Atomic Energy Society of Japan.
- Kim, J.**; Moreira, R. and Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Optimizing irradiation treatment of shell eggs using simulation. J. Food Science. 76: E173-E177. DOI: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01931.x
- Chimbombi, E.***, Moreira, R.; Kim, J.**; and Castell-Perez, E. 2011. Prediction of Targeted Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium inactivation in fresh cut cantaloupe (Cucumis melo L.) using electron beam irradiation. J. Food Eng.103:409-416. DOI:10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2010.11.011.